|Education:||Ph.D. 2012, University of California, Davis|
M.Eng. 2008, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
B.E. Sichuan University
|Publications:||Publications by Wen in our database|
Dr. Haiming Wen
2220 Campus Drive Evanston, IL 60208-3108, USA
I’m working on joint projects between Prof. David Seidman’s group at Northwestern University and Prof. Enrique Lavernia’s group at University of California, Davis. Nanostructured Al alloys, e.g. Al 7075, Al 5083 and Al-Sc alloy, are fabricated at UC Davis by cryomilling of powders followed by consolidation of cryomilled nanostructured powders via hot isostatic pressing and hot extrusion, or spark plasma sintering. The mechanical behavior of the bulk nanostructured Al alloys is also studied at UC Davis. I’m investigating the microstructures of the nanostructured Al alloys by atom probe tomography and transmission electron microscopy at Northwestern University, to understand the fundamental relationship between processing, microstructure and mechanical behavior of these nanostructured alloys.
Processing, microstructure, mechanical behavior and deformation mechanisms of nanostructured metals and alloys; advanced materials characterization by atom probe tomography and transmission electron microscopy
Honors and Awards
• Feb. 2012 “Top Reviewer” for the journal Materials Science and Engineering: A
• Oct. 2011 Poster Award of 2011 Materials Science & Technology Conference, Columbus, OH
• Aug. 2011 Best Poster Award of Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science, UC Davis
Reviewer for Materials Science and Engineering A, Journal of Materials Science, Chemical Engineering Journal, Journal of Alloys and Compounds. Reviewed more than 40 papers.
The Minerals, Metals, Materials Society
1. Yang Y, Peng XD, Wen HM, Wei GB, Lavernia EJ, “Microstructure and mechanical behavior of Mg-10Li-3Al-2.5Sr alloy”, submitted to Journal of Alloys and Compounds.
2. Nguyen J, Holland T, Wen HM, Fraga M, Mukherjee A, Lavernia EJ, “Mechanical Behavior of Ultrafine-Grained Ni-Carbon Nanotube Composite”, submitted to Journal of Materials Science.
3. Wen HM, Islamgaliev RK, Valiev RZ, Lavernia EJ, “Dynamic balance between grain refinement and grain growth during high-pressure torsion of Cu powders”, submitted to Philosophical Magazine Letters.
4. Wongsa-Ngam J, Wen HM, Langdon TG, “Microstructural evolution in a Cu-Zr alloy processed by a combination of ECAP and HPT”, submitted to Acta Materialia.
5. Nguyen J, Wen HM, Zhang ZH, Yaghmaie F, Lavernia EJ, “Surfactant assisted dispersion and adhesion behavior of carbon nanotubes on Cu-Zr and Cu-Zr-Al amorphous powders”, submitted to Journal of Materials Science.
6. Wen HM, Topping TD, Isheim D, Seidman DN, Lavernia EJ, “Strengthening mechanisms in high strength bulk nanostructured Cu-Zn-Al alloy processed via cryomilling and spark plasma sintering”, Acta Materialia, in press, DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2012.09.036.
7. Yang Y, Peng XD, Wen HM, Zheng BL, Zhou YZ, Xie WD, Lavernia EJ, “Influence of extrusion on the microstructure and mechanical behavior of Mg-9Li-3Al-xSr alloys”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 44  1101-1113 (2013).
8. Wen HM, Lavernia EJ, “Twins in cryomilled and spark plasma sintered Cu-Zn-Al”, Scripta Materialia, 67  245-248 (2012).
9. Wen HM, Zhao YH, Topping TD, Ashford D, Figueiredo RB, Xu C, Langdon TG, Lavernia EJ, “Influence of pressing temperature on microstructure evolution and mechanical behavior of ultrafine-grained Cu processed by equal-channel angular pressing”, Advanced Engineering Materials, 14  185-194 (2012).
10. Wen HM, Zhao YH, Zhang ZH, Ertorer O, Dong SM, Lavernia EJ, “The influence of oxygen and nitrogen contamination on the densification behavior of cryomilled copper powders during spark plasma sintering”, Journal of Materials Science, 46  3006-3012 (2011).
11. Wen HM, Zhao YH, Li Y, Ertorer O, Nesterov KM, Islamgaliev RK, Valiev RZ, Lavernia EJ, “High-pressure torsion-induced grain growth and detwinning in cryomilled Cu powders”, Philosophical Magazine, 90  4541-4550 (2010).
12. Dong SM, Wen HM, Zhou Q, Ding YS, “Preparation of oxidation protective SiC coatings for C/SiC composites by pulse chemical vapor deposition,” Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, 10  278-285 (2009).
13. Wen HM, Dong SM, Ding YS, Zhang XY, He P, Gao L, “Study of SiC/Yb2 SiO5 multilayer coating for oxidation protection of Cf /SiC composites,” Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, 38  1580-1583 (2009).
14. Chen XC, Ou J, Kang YQ, Huang ZB, Zhu HY, Yin GF, Wen HM, “Synthesis and characteristics of monticellite bioactive ceramic”, Journal of Materials Science - Materials in Medicine, 19  1257-1263 (2008).
15. Wen H, Dong S, He P, Wang Z, Zhou H, Zhang X, “Sol-gel synthesis and characterization of ytterbium silicate powders,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 90  4043-4046 (2007).
16. Yao Y, Wen H, Dong S, Guo X, Yin G, “Preparation and anti-oxidation behavior of mullite coating on carbon/ silicon carbide composite,” Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society, 35  322-326 (2007).
1. Wen H, Dong S, Ding Y, Zhang X, He P, “Sol-gel synthesis of ytterbium silicate powders,” Chinese patent number 200710041229.