From Northwestern University Center for Atom-Probe Tomography
Welcome to the
Northwestern University Center for Atom-Probe Tomography
Tools | Research | People | MRSEC
NUCAPT is a research facility at Northwestern University directed by Prof. David N. Seidman and managed by Research Prof. Dieter Isheim. NUCAPT specializes in high-resolution chemical imaging by three-dimensional atom probe tomography (APT). APT produces a three-dimensional (3D) atom-by-atom chemical image with sub-nanometer spatial resolution of a sample volume typically 100 x 100 x 300 nm^3, by simultaneous high resolution imaging and atom-by-atom time of flight mass spectrometry. APT is particularly suited to study nano- or nanostructured materials.
The VG FIM100 atom-probe field-ion microscope (APFIM) is now on display in Terminal 1 at O'Hare Airport, in the concourse opposite gate B12. It was moved to O'Hare Airport to spend its retirement days among applications of the high-performance structural and areospace materials it helped develop.
Photo credit: Dr. Nhon Vo
NUCAPT had originally donated the VG FIM100 APFIM to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry where it anchored the exhibition Materials Science at MSI (press kit). The Chicago Tribune ran an article about the exhibition "Materials Science" at the MSI on March 25, 2015.
- The Seidman Group welcomes Francesca Long, a first year graduate student in the department.
- The Seidman Group welcomes visiting student Dong An from Southeast University.
Recent articles from the Seidman group
- Ma, Kaka; Wen, Haiming; Hu, Tao; Topping, Troy D.; Isheim, Dieter; Seidman, David N.; Lavernia, Enrique J.; Schoenung, Julie M. (2014). "Mechanical behavior and strengthening mechanisms in ultrafine grain precipitation-strengthened aluminum alloy". Acta Materialia 62: 141-155.
- Plotnikov, Elizaveta Y.; Mao, Zugang; Noebe, Ronald D.; Seidman, David N. (2014). "". Scripta Materialia 70 (1): 51-54.
- Vo, Nhon Q.; Dunand, David C.; Seidman, David N. (2014). "". Acta Materialia 63 (15): 73-85.
- 'Bocchini, Peter J.; Lass, Eric A.; Moon, K-W; Campbell, Carolyn E.; Kattner, Ursula R.; Dunand, David C.; Seidman, David N.' (2013). "". Scripta Materialia 68 (8): 563-566.
- Kim, Yoon-Jun; Tao, Runzhe; Klie, Robert F. (2013). "Direct Atomic-Scale Imaging of Hydrogen and Oxygen Interstitials in Pure Niobium Using Atom-Probe Tomography and Aberration-Corrected Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy". ACS Nano 7 (1): 732-739.
- Baik, Sung-Il (2013). "Correlative atom-probe tomography and transmission electron microscope study of a chemical transition in a spinel on an oxidized nickel-based superalloy". Scripta Materialia 68 (11): 909-912.
- Isheim, Dieter; Stadermann, Frank J.; Lewis, Josiah B.; Floss, Christine; Daulton, Tyrone L.; Davis, Andrew M.; Heck, Philipp R.; Pellin, Michael J.; Savina, Michael R.; Seidman, David N.; Stephan, Thomas (2013). "Combining Atom-Probe Tomography and Focused-Ion Beam Microscopy to Study Individual Presolar Meteoritic Nanodiamond Particles". Microscopy and Microanalysis 19: 974-975.
- Ford, Denise C.; Cooley, Lance D. (2013). "Suppression of hydride precipitates in niobium superconducting radio-frequency cavities". Superconducting Science and Technology 26 (10).
- Moutanabbir, Oussama; Isheim, Dieter; Blumtritt, Horst; Senz, Stephan; Pippel, Eckhard; Seidman, David N. (2013). "Colossal injection of catalyst atoms into silicon nanowires". Nature 496 (7443): 78-82.
- Wang, J.-S.; Mulholland, M.D.; Olson, G.B. (2013). "Prediction of the yield strength of a secondary-hardening steel" 61 (13): 4939-4952.
- Zhou, Yang; Isheim, Dieter; Hsieh, Gillian; Noebe, Ronald D. (2013). "". Philosophical Magazine 93 (10-12): 1326-1350.